SIMILAR BOOKS BY CATEGORY
LINK FROM YOUR SITE
304 pages (Fall 2004); 3.4MB downloadWOWIO Books
; ISBN: 1893673081
"Thoughtless" leaders are born. "Thoughtful" leaders are made.
Humans, like most mammals, are born with the capacity to organize into simple social structures. These social structures are typically hierarchical in nature, and are led by "alpha" group members through power tactics of fear and intimidation. The tendency for alphas to lead in this way is innate -- it is "thoughtless leadership."
Thoughtless leadership is effective for small groups engaged in simple activities, but it quickly breaks down for larger groups and complex activities -- like leading organizations or governing countries. In virtually all respects, thoughtful leaders outperform their thoughtless peers when groups are large or situations complex.
The two leadership styles could not be more different:
- Thoughtful leadership is learned. Thoughtless leadership is innate.
- Thoughtful leadership is quiet. Thoughtless leadership is loud.
- Thoughtful leadership inspires commitment. Thoughtless leadership inspires fear.
- Thoughtful leadership empowers. Thoughtless leadership controls.
- Thoughtful leadership is win-win. Thoughtless leadership is zero-sum.
Through a kaleidoscope of classic leadership quotes, parables, illustrations, and literary excerpts, the author challenges readers to explore the key intellectual and emotional factors involved in thoughtful leadership. The book underscores a basic point about thoughtful leadership -- it requires thought. The Thoughtful Leader is a primer on leadership; a reader of classic literature and poetry; a study of military and political strategy; and a vehicle for self-examination and study.